Monday, October 16, 2006

Big Plans

Needless to say I'm in a good mood, a wonderful mood, I'm floating on cloud nine! In a few short days I will be leaving this stuffy condo and the smog filled air of downtown for the crisp green lawns of Apple Valley proper and the cutest three bedroom home with a white picket fence. I'll be next door to my new friend Rayne and her family (hubby, two children and come this winter a dog) and a few houses down from another good friend, Nicole, and her hubby.

O, I haven't mentioned my new friends at all. Well, Rayne is very nice. I met her while walking in the park. Her son, Ray, came up and starting doing cartwheels for me and she introduced herself. She and her husband, Ajani, own the local toy store, aptly named The Toy Shoppe and they take turns running the shop and taking care of thier children. They have a toddler daughter, Rebecca, as well as Ray who just started school. We started making an habit of having coffee together or I would visit the toy store and bring by lunch for us to share. Chad and I actually went to thier house for dinner a few days ago. Chad was such a good sport about the whole thing. It was a bit chaotic with Ray running about and offering everyone pieces of his cake-slightly burnt, but edible-and Rebecca crawling about askig to be held. Rayne and Ajani kept taking turns in the kitchen cooking dinner-which was pork chops, a bit on the dry side, peas and mashed sweet potatoes (Which were divine, apparently it's a Tiki Island recipe that has been passed down through Ajani's family. I tried to get the recipe, to no avail, but he did confirm that ginger root was mixed with it.) I had a great time, I loved the chaotic nature of the home, it made the visit seem more real. Especially when during the clean up, Ajani and Rayne took turns tucking the children into bed and reading bedtime stories. It made me wonder what my own famiyl would be like, I hope it's as filled with love as thiers.

Ok, on to my other new friend, Nicole. Nicole is from Sokituma [sp?] Island. She and her fiancee, Lyndon, moved there after she graduated. They were to be married, but then moved back to Apple Valley with the Return to Your Roots campaign the hood council has been promoting. As a result, they received a discount on thier new home and settled back in the hood. She's an actress, currently she's the spokesmodel for Dishy Soap and she recently signed to star in a local play produced by the Starrents company. We met while auditioning for the Dishy Soap ad and she's really nice and a bit wild. She reminds me of Jasmine at times, but she's so sweet and kind. She still has a slight accent and she's self concious of it, but I think it's wonderful, like music. Her husband is an attendant at the local gas station, but he wants to get a job with a local business, but no one is hiring at the moment. We usually met to discuss the business and audition opportunities, she has dreams of being a broadway star, I want to star in movies, so we're not in direct competition with each other, but we are slightly. She helps me a lot since she was a drama major in university and has appeared in some local plays on her native island.

I need to send invitiations out to the cast members about the costume party next week, I hope it will be fun. I still need to plan the menu and I have an appointment with the architect to review the final plans for Euphoria. Wish me luck!

No comments: